Happy 2011 everyone!
This is the time of year when many of us make promises, set goals, create that list of resolutions for the year to come. As leaders, what we do and how we do it influences so many. During this time of reflection we have a new opportunity to take the first steps in creating lasting change. Now’s the time to reflect, look ahead and create a plan that plays to our strengths, minimizes or overcomes our weaknesses and sets us, and our organizations, up for a great year ahead.
How many of these are on your list or resolutions for 2011?
1. I will work less.
2. I will work more.
3. I will spend more time with family and friends.
4. I will delegate more.
5. I will develop a succession plan.
6. I will try new things.
7. I will take risks.
8. I will experiment.
9. I will examine what we do, how we do it and why.
10. I will work harder.
11. I will work smarter
12. I will take vacation time.
13. I will trust those I work with.
14. I will clearly communicate my expectations.
15. I will empower people to do their jobs.
16. I will reward and recognize jobs well done.
17. I will say “please” and “thank you”.
18. I will encourage ongoing quality improvements.
19. I will invest in my own professional development.
20. I will promote ongoing learning and development for staff at all levels.
21. I will encourage a culture of innovation and creativity.
22. I will respect the power of ideas.
23. I will celebrate both small and large successes.
24. I will learn lessons from the failures and missed opportunities.
25. I will encourage constant improvements in all that we do.
26. I will embrace new technology and social media and the possibilities they present.
27. I will be a better time manager.
28. I will support some time for play in our work day.
29. I will develop and participate in a personal learning network.
30. I will be a better communicator through the use of new tools, better listening, greater transparency and improved strategic focus.
31. I will be more approachable.
32. I will be honest and respectful in my dealings.
33. I will call people on inappropriate actions or behaviors.
34. I will learn more about the people I work with.
35. I will rediscover my passions both in and outside of work.
36. I will improve my fitness/health and wellness.
37. I will give back to the community and encourage staff to do the same.
38. I will be watchful of our competition and learn what I can from them.
39. I will ensure the company’s history is communicated and revered.
40. I will be customer centric and ensure our people, processes and systems are too.
41. I will develop better ways of listening to our staff, our customers and our partners.
42. I will do my best to meet the needs of all our stakeholders.
43. I will actively promote a sense of community within these stakeholder groups.
44. I will make public appearances and be the face of the organization where required.
45. I will maximize the return on all of our investments, including our people.
46. I will take my role seriously and do it to the very best of my ability.
47. I will be open to feedback, criticism and suggestions for improvement.
48. I will make the tough decisions as fairly as I can.
49. I will teach, coach, and cheer lead.
50. I will move on if it is in the best interest of the company for me to do so.